Tuesday 29 April 2008

InterCulture: China


Phone Booking of a Hotel Room
in a Chinese Metropolis
in the Year 2008


Guest Author: Thomas Hoefels


The following is a real life story, experienced by my partner Thomas Hoefels, some weeks ago. Conscious about the wonderful and charming character of this intercultural episode, he consented to have it published.

Thomas has over 25 years of experience in international tourism consulting. Yet, the incidence which surrounded his attempt of reserving a hotel room in a Chinese Metropolis did not fail to impress him deeply. Intercultural communication imposes certain hindrances -- but if you read to the bottom, you will see that all came to a good end.


(Ring, ring, ring……….)

Chinese words, presumably: hello?

It's Thomas speaking. I’m calling from Germany and would like to book a room at your hotel.

No book…

But this is a hotel?

Yes.

And I would like to book a room with you.

No bookshop, this is hotel.

I would like to have a room.

Just a moment…

(Connecting to a colleague……)

Chinese words, presumably: hello?

I would like to book a room.

Your room number?

I don’t have a room number, I would like to visit you and need a room for one night.

A, B or C?

Pardon?

Block A, B or C?

I don’t know your blocks. I need a single room at a reasonable rate.

Block A is 315 including breakfast.

Very good. So I come March 30 and leave March 31.

No 30, it's 315.

I know this now, and I will pay 315. Please note that I arrive March 30 and leave March 31.

No! 315!

Can you give me your email address or your website address? I will write my request to you.

Wessigh? Amill?

No, your homepage or email.

Moment…

(Connecting to a colleague……)

Chinese words, presumably: hello?

I would like to come to your hotel…

Come!

Can you confirm this in writing? Thomas from Germany, arrival at March 30 for one night.

Come! I write.

Can you please give me your fax number?

No fax, this is phone.

I know, but I would like to know your fax number.

Yes! (Silence……….)

Please, could you give me your fax number?

Moment…

(Connecting to a colleague……)

Chinese words, presumably: hello?

Can you give me your fax number?

Just a moment….

Sil, sil eigh, sea…..

Pardon?

Sil, sil, eigh, sea….

I see, 0086, this is China. I know this, and I also know your city code. But I need your personal fax number. I would like to write a letter to you.

Personal? Letter?

Yes. Please, your fax number!

Eigh, lee, sea, figh, sea, yan…….

Thank you. I come!

(c) Thomas Hoefels 2008



Thomas Hoefels finally decided to arrive at the hotel as a walk-in without any bookings and documents. He was cordially welcomed by friendly people and enjoyed a splendid stay at the hotel.

And upon his check-out, he paid exactly 315, as this was agreed by phone with Thomas from Germany for a single room in block A from March 30 to 31.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's really hilarious.
This is totally Chinese style! Super low context culture!
:D
Xiang